Where it all started.





Neva was my Grandmother.  She passed away less than 10 years ago.  My father, Bob, also passed away a couple years ago.  In going through their belongings, I've found a world of family treasures.  Old Army uniforms from my father, scrapbooks and slides from my Grandfather with pictures from prohibition, family and vacations from the 1920's through the 90's.  I even found the old cuckoo clock that haunted me as a child.  LOL

Anyway, in this great search through memories I found a recipe.  My grandma's beloved spaghetti sauce recipe.  It was like finding an undiscovered Picasso. Her secret, won't tell anyone recipe.  The recipe older than my father and probably older than my grandmother herself.  God love that sweet little Italian catholic woman.  She never swore, was always patient and polite, but get near her recipe and watch out!  While I can't share that treasure with you, I can share the hundreds of other recipes I found alongside that.  Some were her legendary recipes, like homemade pizza, Georgia Pecan Pie and Peanut Butter cookies that can make you beg for more.  Others have notes on them, stating they were her sisters recipe or long time family friend.  Then were recipes that everyone loves, like TollHouse chocolate chip cookies and rice krispie treats.  

And last I found some more treasures.  My fathers chili and salsa recipes.  He had many chili recipes, again I have to keep his most treasured to myself, but he loved to experiment.  This is shown by all his notes, articles and recipes from magazines, recipes written on old bank statements and used envelopes.  Anything nearby to jot quick notes on so he can re-create his masterpiece again.  

This blog is created in their honor, to share with you the many wonderful dishes I grew up on.  I will not have pictures of most as I will be trying out these recipes for the first time myself.  I'm scared to do so, They were both such wonderful cooks, I hope my versions of their recipes can measure up.  As I create them I will post pictures and my on notes on variations, if the kids liked it, etc.  Enjoy and share with your family.  Feel free to comment on ones you've tried, ones you want to try and ones that just inspire you. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment